We all know about recycling paper and plastic, but did you know that you can recycle your electronics too?
In today’s world, there aren’t too many people who don’t own an electronic device. 95% of all Americans own a cell phone, and 66% of all Americans own at least two electronic devices.
As consumers upgrade their devices, the old ones end up tucked away collecting dust, others find homes in the trash.
Electronic devices aren’t soda cans or cardboard boxes, but they are still recyclable.
Make your footprint a little greener by recycling your electronics! Below we provide an overview of e-cycling, to include the benefits of it and how you can participate.
What Is E-cycling?
You don’t look at a broken phone and think about how it can be reused.
Who thinks about getting rid of their old box television in an eco-friendly manner? Not many people know about e-cycling.
The art of recycling electronic devices has grown in popularity. Electronic devices are often made of glass, metal, and plastic. A recycled cell phone provides various amounts of copper, silver, gold, and palladium. When totaled, there are tons and tons of reusable metals.
Each of these metals can be used to create a new device!
So what are the other benefits of recycling electronics?
Pros of Recycling Your Electronics
There are countless advantages to recycling electronics. These benefits include:
- Protecting the environment. By recycling these devices, there is less risk of toxic chemicals seeping into water and land. Chemicals such as mercury and lead are commonly found in electronics.
- Conserving and reusing natural resources. Recycling means reusing existing material to make something new. Recycling reduces pollution, saves energy, and saves natural resources.
- Helping others. Electronic recycling doesn’t just involve reusing materials. Another eco-friendly method is to donate or sell old electronic devices to those who do not have them. Refurbished electronics are more affordable.
Recycling electronics keep our planet clean and healthy.
It also gives us the chance to give back to those who are less fortunate.
Things to Do Before You Recycle Your Electronics
Are you convinced to recycle your old iPhone or Samsung tablet?
If so, there are a few steps to take before you donate, sell or recycle your electronics.
- Save data off of the device. If you’re like most people, your data is stored in the cloud. Before recycling your device, ensure you have saved all data to another location. You don’t want to lose your photos, contacts, and documents!
- Delete personal data. Protect your personal data by removing it from the electronic device. When finished, the device should be as empty as it was the day you purchased it.
- Remove batteries. Some devices have removable batteries. Batteries are often recycled separately.
E-waste is a growing problem around the world. Yet, only 12.5% of e-waste is recycled.
We only have one planet, so let’s do our part to recycle and reuse!
Check out local recycling locations in your area. If you prefer to sell or donate your electronic devices, Buy Back Pros can help! We pay cash for all sorts of electronic devices, so contact us today!